Friday, January 28, 2011

Random Rant

I have just finished an act that has left me ridden with guilt.  Condemnation streamed from the heavens, not the heaven of angels and such, but the heaven of book lovers of old.  I have just damaged a precious page of this precious little book.  Yes, I just dog-eared a page in my book, and as I did, I caught myself imagining the excuses that I would give to those in class that might see my actions as an uneducated display of disrespect for the very foundation of "what we do." That got me to thinking; why should I feel guilty or even care for that matter?

It's strange to me that I should I feel that I have done something wrong.  I am struck by the illogical nature of the very idea that applying a helpful crease to MY book is such a crime.  Why should I feel guilty.  It's not like I'm cutting words out or ripping pages from the spine or running the thing through a wood chipper.  No, just a simple crease.  It's my freaking book!  If I want to write, crease, or create a an entire origami zoo out of every single page, I will.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! You just gave me a fantastic idea here! No, I do not dog ear pages as that is an awful sin. . .I do something worse -- I finish the godawful story/book (you know the one-first chapter is great but second chapter is boring and by the third chapter it is so poorly written)and yet I keep reading trying to find reasons for publication or reasons why this awful book made it beyond an editors desk. However, next time I find myself reading an awful piece of work, I will stop reading (no matter how much the guilt assaults me) and turn the book into something beautiful to add to your collection of an origami zoo. I love this blog! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be one of those bloggers that people actually read. Your posts really make me laugh. This was great!

    And yeah, to dog-ear a book is one of those unpardonable sins...I can't do it. I also can't write in or mark up a book.

    ReplyDelete